Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?

Subject: Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 18:07:03 -0500

*Warning, I am venting my anti-engineer-as-programmer
bias.*

Gwen,
Thanks for the engineer bashing! I didn't say this
in my original message because it wasn't my original point,
but you are exactly describing what goes on here!

When an engineer decides to take on a programming job himself,
management views the product as a masterpiece, but the software
guys that get stuck working with it later go nuts over the
lack of structure! (Even *I* took a course in Data Structures;
how many engineers where I work can say that?!)

One math genius (I mean that) who was recently laid off was known
for writing spaghetti code, but it made perfect sense to him. He
could always find the offending line when nobody else could.

I guess I'll stop at that. I've already stated that I'm biased so
you have to take that into consideration.

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com
disclaimer: This does not reflect the opinion of my employer!