Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?

Subject: Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?
From: Jim Grey <jwg -at- ACD4 -dot- ACD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 1994 09:00:13 -0500

LaVonna Wants to Know:
>Q: Do you equate programmers with engineers?

This company calls the group of employees which write the code "Engineering".
This offends, however, the two Electrical Engineers we have on staff. Our
EEs had to pass tests to earn the title. Our software developers just had
to get hired here.

I think "R&D" or "Implementation" are better terms than "Engineering"
for the programming group. But I'm still guilty, because of my company's
habits, of referring to programmers as engineers.

Peace,
jim grey
--
jim grey |"Ain't nothin' better in the world, you know
jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com |Than lyin' in the sun, listenin' to the radio" - Lighthouse