Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?

Subject: Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 15:11:32 EDT

LaVonna asks:

Do you equate programmers with engineers?
************************

Certainly not, (and if I wanted to, it wouldn't be _permitted_), but I know
many engineers who are in programming jobs. _They_ are _very_ careful to make
the distinction, just as in your shop. There seems to be a trend at high tech.
companies here (the Ottawa Valley tends to fancy itself "Silicon Valley
North"**) to call them all "developers". I think this is a move by
"programmers" to level the playing field.

Take care, and may your dog go with you,

Gwen

**I'd be curious to hear from anyone NOT in Canada, who has heard the
"Silicon Valley North" label given to Ottawa. Actually, I'd be very curious
to know if ANYONE outside the Ottawa region has heard the term...