Re: Business names and bad writing

Subject: Re: Business names and bad writing
From: "Westra, Kayla L." <13718westr -at- KCPBLDG01 -dot- BV -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 07:51:00 CDT

Our company does the same thing with modules for a computer program. One
they decided to change?

Project Management System

Kayla Westra
Black & Veatch
13718westr -at- kcpbldg01 -dot- bv -dot- com
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: Business names and bad writing
Date: Thursday, August 11, 1994 9:12PM

I found a weird report name in a client's product once:

They called their reports by its three-letter initialism (Effective Skills
Mastery was ESM, Actual Skills Mastery was ASM, etc.) Then I came across
the Skills Not Mastered report (you figure it out). I called the developer
(a friend of mine, and also in my improvisational comedy group, the
Creative Urges -- blatant plug, blatant plug) and suggested gently that
maybe this wasn't such a great initialism to use in a manual aimed at a
grade and high school teaching audience. Absolutely deadpan (I know this
guy), he shot back, "Oh, that's the report we use to send students to the
Vice Principal!"

It's not a business name, and it's not bad writing (well, sort of), but I
thought y'all'd be amused.

Bonni Graham
Manual Labour
Director, Region 8 Conference