Re: Report on how kids can't write well

Subject: Re: Report on how kids can't write well
From: Kristina Guiney <kguiney -at- MELMAC -dot- COAT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 1994 15:15:13 -0400

On Fri, 12 Aug 1994, LaVonna Funkhouser wrote:

> I plan to send it to my former high-school English teacher
> who is currently in battle with her principal. He wants her
> to water down her teaching and to stop flunking kids because
> it hurts their self-esteem.

Here's another example of why kids don't learn today: My brother-in-law was
told that if he didn't pass ALL of his students, the school would lose X
amount of funding from the state; so, pass them all or lose your job. He
refused; he felt he had to "stop the insanity" somewhere. He had even
submitted proposals to create programs to help these kids who had basically
slid through the system their entire life. The administration wasn't
interested (I guess they figured they didn't have the money!). Needless to
say, he lost his chance at tenure and (of course) his job.

The administration went ahead and changed all the failing grades to passing.
There ARE a lot of good teachers out there, but a lot of misguided
administrators!

Kristie Guiney
kristina -dot- guiney -at- coat -dot- com