Re: Which form is correct?

Subject: Re: Which form is correct?
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 1994 10:32:18 EDT

Remember that long-ago question about "lower right corner" vs. "lower-right
corner"? (probably not)

Remember my argument in favor of "lower-right corner"? (most definitely not)

Well, just as well, because I've been convinced to change my mind. Thanks
go to Virginia (asdxvlk -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu) for not giving up until I'd seen
the light.

The relevant passage in the Chicago Manual of Style is "Coordinate Adjectives"
(5.45). I had mistakenly thought of "lower right" as a compound adjective,
with "lower" modifying "right", when in fact it's a coordinate adjective,
with "lower" modifying "right corner".

Punch line: "lower right corner" is correct.

You can go back to the "silly business names" thread now... :-)

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are those of my Evil Twin.