help finding readability studies

Subject: help finding readability studies
From: Susan Stewart <susan -at- AVALANCHE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 11:30:29 -0600

Can someone out there point me toward any research/studies/published
material that deals with formatting narrow columns for optimal
readability? I'd also like to find a source that discusses serif
vs sans serif for text (as opposed to display) fonts.

I'm in the middle of a disagreement with another writer about use of
fonts in a three-column data sheet. I'd like to have an independent
support for my position (or an explanation of where my thinking has
gone astray).

If you know of helpful literature, please respond to me personally.
I'll post a collection of the responses to the list.

Thanks for the assist.

Susan

Susan Stewart
Manager, Product Documentation