Re: "You may click" vs. "Click"

Subject: Re: "You may click" vs. "Click"
From: Nancy Hayes <nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 1994 21:26:46 GMT

We don't really have a hard-and-fast rule (nothing in the style guides),
but I've used "you" in conditional statements before.

If you need to access XYZ, type "splat"

rather than "To access XYZ, type "splat""

I've also seen "you" used in desktop guides (informal procedures) to
tag a trouble-shooting solution. Hope this helps.

Personal opinion: I don't care for "you may type".
No particular reason, just reads awkward

--
--N. L. Hayes DISCLAIMER: Personal opinion, only.
nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov Does not represent company policy.