layoffs at IBM

Subject: layoffs at IBM
From: Jennifer Lautz <lautz -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 1994 14:41:07 PDT

>> Jennifer Lautz is your group part of the IBM lay off plan?

Geez, I hope not.

Actually, another site in San Jose, the one on Cottle Road that primarily
makes disk drives and other magnetic storage devices, is going to be
downsizing. I've heard and read that IBM plans to send that
kind of manufacturing overseas, the way our competitors in the disk
drive area do.

At Santa Teresa Lab, we develop software: language and application
development products like COBOL and WITT (a test tool), and databases
and database-related products like IMS, DB2, QMF, Visualizer, DataGuide/2
... I've heard that we have a software portfolio of well over 1000
products. I guess how "safe" we are depends on how well our products
sell!

Beyond that, I don't even want to speculate! :-)

Jennifer Lautz
IBM Santa Teresa Laboratory
San Jose, CA

These are MY opinions, not necessarily IBM's!