Re: You may

Subject: Re: You may
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 16:37:31 EDT

Bonni Graham writes, wrt to invalid:
>spots at the grocery store. But in reality, according to two different
>thesauri, inVALid is the correct antonym for valid. I guess this proves
>that there's a lot to be said for emphasizing syllables.

"Not valid" is also acceptable, and unambiguous. I remember getting a list
once of words to avoid (purportedly to ease translation), and "invalid"
was featured prominently. Whether any decent translator would ever really
make that mistake, given the context, is a different question....

It certainly does give some people pause, however, and in this case that's
enough for me to choose the first alternate: not valid.

Have a good weekend all,

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: all claims not valid