Re: "You may click" vs. "Click"

Subject: Re: "You may click" vs. "Click"
From: Niall Johnson <niallj -at- CI -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 09:11:23 +1000

When I have written user manuals (and more than I care to remember!) I
have tended to emphasise that it is the user (you) that does things.
However, I have never (to the best of my knowledge and less than reliable
memory) used "you may". Rather, I might write
1. Enter the option you want and the computer displays the
blah-blah submenu.
2. Use the cursor keys to select .....

It may have been possible to say "You may now select..." but it seems, as
someone else said, 'wishy-washy'.

My $0.02.
--
Ciao