Re: Why paper books

Subject: Re: Why paper books
From: Ad absurdum per aspera <JTCHEW -at- LBL -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 1994 18:01:13 GMT

Because if they're really bad you can either throw them in
the fireplace or take them to the gun range, soak them with
water, and have at them with hollowpoints. Diskettes are
uninspiring to shoot -- you just drill a hole, very undramatic --
and the only time I ever put one in the fire by accident the
burning plastic made a bad smell.

Seriously, I tend to prefer paper over online docs when
using advanced features of a complicated program. This is
especially true when, for whatever reason, I'm on one of
the antediluvian small-screen systems that are still around.
But I could probably learn to do without this mechanical
convenience if need be.

For elementary features or simple programs, I never even
consult the manual; I just dive right in. As to a lot of users.

Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"
Disclaimer: Even if my employer had a position on the subject,
I probably wouldn't be the one stating it on their behalf.