Re: Standards for Documentation Terminology

Subject: Re: Standards for Documentation Terminology
From: Jim Grey <jwg -at- ACD4 -dot- ACD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 08:14:07 -0500

Phil Hellerman searches for the Holy Grail:
>Rather than "reinventing the wheel" nd developing our own standards for
>terminlogy, I hope you can direct me to an apporpriate document that would
>define such terms as 'menu bar', 'pull-down', etc.

My company's product interfaces are Motif-based. So, we use the _Motif
Style Guide_'s terms and conventions. Were we producing Windows applications,
though, the _MSG_ would be the wrong choice. Motif calls that button in the
upper right-hand corner of the window "minimize"; I don't know what Windows
calls it, but I'm sure it's something different.

There is no one style guide! Figure out what "standards" you work with, and
look for publications which describe them. There you will find as close to
"standard terminology" as you're going to get.

Peace,
jim grey
--
jim grey |"Ain't nothin' better in the world, you know
jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com |Than lyin' in the sun, listenin' to the radio" - D. Boone