Scalable vs. scaleable

Subject: Scalable vs. scaleable
From: Margaret Redding <ab555 -at- FREENET -dot- CARLETON -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 20:55:06 GMT

I edited a lot of documents where the word "scaleable" occurred. Now,
the MSWord spellchecker accepted this spelling, but not "scalable." On the
other hand, FrameMaker and WP5.1 preferred "scalable," and rejected
"scaleable."

When I asked people what they felt the spelling of scaleable (scalable)
should be, without exception they chose scaleable, saying scalable would
sound like scallable. What is the preferred spelling of editors on this list?

By the way, I am forever reading "a lot" spelled as "alot." Is this acceptable
now?

M.R.
--
Margaret Redding ab555 -at- freenet -dot- carleton -dot- ca
Ottawa, Ontario