Re: incentives

Subject: Re: incentives
From: Glen Accardo <glen -at- SOFTINT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 09:55:32 -0500

> I submit that if a company acknowledges your comments
> and actually implements them in the next release--and
> it would be even better if they continue to follow up
> by telling you that they've implemented something you
> suggested--that would be a material enough incentive
> for me.

We've done that, and it works very well. For example, if we fix a fairly
generic bug in the software, we often document a specific manifestation of
the problem, one reported by a customer. Also, if a few people report
different symptoms, we document all the various symptons fixed, rather than
just one bug. We've actually received several nice letters of appreciation
for publishing the information.

Also, consider the case where one person is considering using a product
company-wide. If they get release notes or updates (anything but a letter from
the president or a salesman) saying that XXX is solved for release X.x,
they have definite information about the state of the product. They don't
have to test, imagine what happened to the bug, and hope it doesn't return.
Specific information is a huge plus -- even for your smaller clients.

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707 x122
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?