TOC Header Levels (was Word for Mac)

Subject: TOC Header Levels (was Word for Mac)
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 1994 13:28:29 CDT

Nancy S. Burns said:
|} Yes, it generates both. Of course, you do the work up front. For the TOC,
|} you can either use predefined styles for your headings. Word then generates
|} the TOC at the beginning of your doc, using the heading levels you selected
|} (1-9) for your TOC. Or, you can insert TOC markers in your document.

1-9? Is it just me, or is that severe overkill? The first place that I
worked as a technical writing intern, the Writing Style Guidelines had
been written by a guy with a B.A. in creative writing. They were a lot
of fun to read, and I always remember the description of section headers,
numbered 1-4. After the type style for level four section headers it said,
``Fourth level section heads are for disorganized weenies.''

I've always tried to remember that. Imagine trying to navigate a document
with nine levels of headers. Hoo boy!

/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "She understood, as he did, that all writing
was infernally boring and futile, but that it had to be done out of respect
for tradition" --Stanislaw Lem