Misqoutes/Flames?

Subject: Misqoutes/Flames?
From: Karen Steele <karen -at- BILBO -dot- SUITE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 11:13:07 -0500

Karen Kay said:
> As for feeling misrepresented, that's part of seeing your words in
> print.

This is something I've thought about over the years.

It occurs to me that, just like life, writing is all done through filters. Your
statements come out through
your personal filter, based on lots of experience and values that form your
views. I pick up that quote,
looking at it through my own set of personal filters, and write an article that
uses your statements to
support my thesis.

This is especially prevalent in feature writing (such as magazine articles).
Most of the time the quoted
individual isn't mad, just mildly puzzled: "Sure that's what I said, but what I
meant was..."

Maybe we need to use more smileys when making quotable statements? (Just
kidding! ) 8-|) (Big
smile, wearing glasses...)

Karen Steele