Converting Ileaf to MS Word

Subject: Converting Ileaf to MS Word
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 10:05:47 CDT

Liz Babcock writes:

> We have numerous documents and/or drawings created on the VAX using
> Interleaf. Our goal is to somehow convert these documents from the VAX
> to Mac MSWord 5.1.

Interleaf provides I'leaf to MS Word filters, but be advised that since
Word is not as capable as Interleaf, the filter is lossy. Anything that
Interleaf does that Word does not support will be discarded. Also, since
Word doesn't really have native graphics support, you will have to
remove all of the illustrations and filter them separately to some
format that Word understands, then place them back into the document.

It has been a while, but I believe the filter may be smart enough to
insert empty graphics frames in Word. The best way to get the results
that you want is to set up a custom template for Interleaf so that it
knows that you want to convert, say Palatino to Stone Serif or
component para:one to style para_one. Setting up a good template takes
a while, but is worth it in the long run, if you have a lot of pages
to convert.

/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "She understood, as he did, that all writing
was infernally boring and futile, but that it had to be done out of respect
for tradition" --Stanislaw Lem