Re: Value of technical documentation

Subject: Re: Value of technical documentation
From: Binion Amerson <aba -at- OC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 1994 07:24:54 -0500

John, et al.:

You wrote:

>Some time ago, STC requested proposals for a research grant to study the
>value added to products by good technical documentation. Do you know if
>anything came of it?

>An interdivisional team of Honeywell publications managers is interested.

>Regards,

>John Brinegar

Results of the STC-funded research project were reported on by Judith
Ramey, Janice Redish, and others at the 41st STC Annual Conference held
during May 1994 in Minneapolis.

The Procceeding of that STC Annual Conference contained two papers on value
and value added. Page 277 contains a paper titled "Measuring the Value
Added by Professional Technical Communmicators: Results of a Study." "The
Compettitive Advantage of Technical Communication: The Western Canadian
Research Project" is found on pages 300-302. I suspect that complete
results will appear in STC's journal Technical Communication.

Binion Amerson
Director-Sponsor, STC Region 5

Binion Amerson, Senior Technical Writer, OpenConnect Systems, 2711 LBJ, Ste
800, Dallas, TX 75234, Ph 214/888-0447; Fax 214/484-6100; E-mail aba -at- oc -dot- com
Director-Sponsor, Society for Technical Communication (STC) Region 5.