Re: Shut Windows down versus shutdown Windows

Subject: Re: Shut Windows down versus shutdown Windows
From: "Less is more." <yvonne -at- VENUS -dot- SMARTSTAR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 08:56:01 -0700

> Cheer up Rich! I think you have Microsoft on your side.
> I was just reading an article in the new Windows
> magazine about Chicago (Windows 4.0) and it looks like Microsoft
> agrees with you about shut down (sort of).

> In Chicago, the "Exit Windows" File menu option is gone, and in
> its place is:
> Shut Down

Windows NT, which is already released, lets you choose File | Logoff or
File | Shutdown (one word) in the Program Manager.

I'd advise using "exit" as the verb for Windows 3.1 doc and "shutdown" for
Windows NT doc. Perhaps "restart" is a good portable verb.

Yvonne DeGraw
yvonne -at- smartstar -dot- com (use this address instead of yvonne -at- venus -dot- smartstar -dot- com)
Santa Barbara, CA

P.S. Our customer support people tell us that the majority of our customers
say "S-Q-L" instead of "sequel" -- possibly because we have product
components called "ISQL" (Interactive SQL) and "RSQL" (Run-time SQL)
and "I-sequel" and "R-sequel" sound a bit odd. I'm not dogmatic about
the issue, though.