Re: a SQL / an SQL

Subject: Re: a SQL / an SQL
From: Glen Accardo <glen -at- SOFTINT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 16:33:45 CDT

> She said that IBM invented Sequel, which eventually became SQL (standardized
> query language?) and that mainframers sometimes still call SQL "Sequel."

So far, so good. IBM invented Structured Query Langauge. It isn't a product.
DATABASE 2 is their current relational database, based on SQL. I don't think
they own the name, because SQL gets tossed around database magazines and
such very frequently, and I've never seen a (tm) by it...

What I'm finding as more and more people respond is that SQL is more than
likely an initialism, and not an acronym. Most folks say S-Q-L, and not
sequel. I'm glad I haven't committed too much to the "a SQL" way of
doing things.

Anyone in favor of ANSI English?

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?