How would you....?

Subject: How would you....?
From: Glen Accardo <glen -at- SOFTINT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 15:32:22 CDT

Lately, our developers have been arguing about which article should be used
with the acronym SQL. Because many (most?) people pronounce SQL as "sequel,"
they have taken to proclaiming the following sentence as very bad grammar:

The figure below shows an SQL query.

I say that "an" is the proper article when writing the sentence, even though
I would use "a" if I spoke the same sentence.

Any other opinions?

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?