Re: Between & Among

Subject: Re: Between & Among
From: doug montalbano <doug_montalbano -at- CC -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 08:50:45 PST

I agree that *usage* of these words is confusing. I was wondering if
the deep-down distinction (below the conscious level) depends upon
*reciprocity* of the elements. If the elements have a reciprocal
relationship, we use `between' even if there are more than 2. If
there are more than 2, and the relationship is either vague or
non-reciprocal (merely a grouping), then we choose `among'.

Merely a stab at analysis. I use both.

doug
Doug Montalbano <> Technical Writer <> Chiron Corporation
Doug_Montalbano -at- cc -dot- chiron -dot- com <> (510) 601-2862 (voice/TDD)
If anybody wanted to tell me something, they'd have to write it
on a piece of paper and shove it over to me. They'd get bored
as hell doing that after a while, and then I'd be through with
having conversations for the rest of my life.
_The Catcher in the Rye_