Re: To Preface or Not To Preface

Subject: Re: To Preface or Not To Preface
From: "thoyt -at- qualcomm -dot- com" <thoyt -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 10:51:39 -0700

Yvonne DeGraw suggested:

> I think that many people read the word "Preface" and figure it means "you can
> skip this section". Renaming the same information "About This Guide" is a
> trick to get people to read the preface.

I have used "Welcome to XXXXX" as an introductory chapter where you present
an overview of the product, the usual front matter information, and a "How
to Use This Manual" section. "About This Guide" is also a good title for
the introductory chapter. I equate a preface with an academic work and
usually skip it so that I can get into the meaningful information.
--
Tom Hoyt
thoyt -at- qualcomm -dot- com

NOTE: The views expressed are my own and are not be construed or
interpreted as those of QUALCOMM, Inc.