Re: References

Subject: Re: References
From: BurkBrick -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 08:18:34 EDT

>So, are "good references" still a big deal or not?

Probably not, but you never know. I haven't had anyone check references in a
long time, but I still have them ready just in case.

On the flip side of this coin (I keep doing this, don't I?), what do you do
when someone asks for a reference and you don't want to be called on it. I
have two friends who are job-seeking, and one has already asked me to call
someone and recommend her (which I handled by forgetting to do), and someone
else who is likely to ask me. How do you kindly tell someone she is a good
person, but not good at their chosen profession?

This is awkward for me; I'd like to keep their friendship, but I also don't
want to be put in a position where I will feel obligated to say nice things
about people I know aren't great employees.

Thanks for any hints.

Barb