Re: References

Subject: Re: References
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 10:37:00 UTC

They can ask about old salary history all they want to. I don't supply it
automatically and the only salary that really counts is what the new company
is willing to pay me for my services.

Salary histories can be deceiving if you assume that the person is willing
to work for something similar.

When I accepted my current contract position, I was also holding another
offer for $5.00/hr more and with a longer contract. I accepted the lower
offer (and a 6-month contract). Why? Because the work offered was
interesting and intriguing, I liked the person I would be working for very
much, and the work location was only a few blocks away from my husband's
work location. The location allowed us to take an apartment downtown and
walk to work each day - not bad for Los Angeles! Two years later, I am
still working at that contract position (and walking two blocks to work).

-Marilynne