Re: FrameMaker Menu capture (why do it)

Subject: Re: FrameMaker Menu capture (why do it)
From: "RJULIUS.US.ORACLE.COM" <RJULIUS -at- US -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 15:05:47 PDT

Michael Cooperman writes, "Maybe we should all consider whether pictures of
menus adds enough to our documentation to justify the time (and, sometimes,
aggravation) it takes to get them."

I agree, mainly for maintenance reasons. For example, while dialog boxes may
be stable from release to release (not all, but usually most), I've often
found that menus change. Screen shots with menus, therefore, increase
document maintenance, and I avoid them like the plague. To say, "Selext X
from the Y menu." is usually enough; the screen shot doesn't add much.

It's so refreshing to actually discuss technical writing on this list. More
satisfying than flame wars, no? Cheers.
Rich Julius Oracle Corporation
Senior Technical Writer Box 659504
Decision Support Systems 500 Oracle Parkway
(415) 506-4971 Redwood Shores, CA 94065

President, Berkeley Chapter, Society for Technical Communication

"The advantage of a classical education is that it enables you to despise
the wealth which it prevents you from achieving." --Russell Green