References that REALLY count

Subject: References that REALLY count
From: "Robert E. Allen" <re_allen -at- PNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 14:50:32 GMT

In my previous life, I was in the Air Force outfit that used to
do background investigations for security clearances. Listed
references almost always gave glowing recommendations. The
only valuable information from a listed reference was the name
of another person who also knew the subject of the investigation;
that's where we got the _real_ story.

I had always contacted the references listed on my security clearance
forms, reminding them what a good guy I was. After I found out that
it was the developed references that counted, I "suggested" other
friends to my listed references, then contacted those folks too.

I don't know if employers go to the same trouble developing
references, but it's worth thinking about (and planning for).

Bob
Simplicate and add light