Re: References

Subject: Re: References
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 15:15:26 CDT

For Doug Engstrom, et al:

My current and previous employers both checked my references
by calling them. Neither employer advertised for references to be
included with my resume. The interview letters I received requested
I provide work samples and references (both non returnable).

In both instances, it was my prospective Manager, not the
Human Resources types, who checked my references and advised me of their
findings at a second interview (the first was with HR).

I don't think the results were considered in the "hire this
person" column, but were weighed in the "don't hire this person"
column. That is, if the references had been noncommittal or negative,
I would not have received the second interviews or the jobs.

My references, however, have been people I respected at my
previous employer; and upon whom I could rely for a serious,
objective evaluation of my skills and experience. So far, none of
their evaluations have seemed to count against me.

Best Regards!

Chuck Banks
--
|\\ | || // Chuck Banks
| \\ | ||_______ || Senior Technical Writer
| \\ | || || NEC America, Inc.
| \\| \\______ \\______ E-Mail: chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com
America, Incorporated CompuServe: 72520,411
STC Mail: cbanks -at- talkdallas -dot- com