Job hunting and other games of chance

Subject: Job hunting and other games of chance
From: "Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225" <engstromdd -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 1994 15:29:57 -0500

Kristie Guiney writes, concerning resumes:

*********************
It's like playing the slots in Las Vegas--a game of chance: one of these
days you're gonna win!

I love this analogy, but I think from the job seeker's point of view, it's
more like blackjack--there is a large random element, but you can tip the
odds in your favor by studying the game carefully.

From the employer's point of view, it seems more like those poker variants
where you have to place higher and higher bets to see more of your
opponent's cards. You can get more information about a given applicant,
but you have to invest more and more time and energy to do so.

Doug
ENGSTROMDD -at- phibred -dot- com