Re: Getting into the right pi

Subject: Re: Getting into the right pi
From: John Gough <john -at- ATRIUM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 1994 09:32:49 CDT

> Doug says. "I suspect that this is where much of the hiring advantage of a
> college degree comes in. You can check it by looking at the resume . . .
> and rapidly shrink the pile. Yes, you'll overlook some bright and talented
> people, but this process is about numbers, odds and being able to defend
> your decision later, not individual merit. Cold, but I think true."

One job-hunt book I read summed up the hirer's position in just that
way: people are inherently conservative about hiring decisions. They
focus more on avoiding mistakes than seeking out talent. I try to
go beyond that mentality when I hire, *but I'm careful not to ignore
it*.

John Gough john -at- atrium -dot- com
Principal Technical Writer voice (512) 328-6977
Atrium Technologies fax (512) 328-2789
Austin, TX