"Notes" Column in manuals

Subject: "Notes" Column in manuals
From: Michael Gos <GOS -at- DT3 -dot- DT -dot- UH -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 1994 06:36:18 -0600

Just a brief word for the "other side." As a user, I LOVE notes columns in
manuals for two reasons. First, it gives me a chance to put my own spin on
a procedure. That is, add my own words, or clarify something. This is
especially true when I struggled with the procedure on first attempt before
figuring it out. If I don't use it again for awhile, my notes help me to
remember how the problem was solved the last time.

But frankly, the biggest reason I love note columns is that when I write in
them, the ink looks different that the printed copy. Hence, when flipping
through the manual, I can instantly spot sections I've used before. Yes, I
know that's what indexes are for, but...call me lazy :-)

Michael Gos