Portfolios

Subject: Portfolios
From: "RJULIUS.US.ORACLE.COM" <RJULIUS -at- US -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 15:12:44 PDT

<Third attempt at posting (first sent morning of June 6). Sorry if it repeats>
********************

Not sure if I can describe this properly, but I use one of those softcover
(vinyl, but nice quality) portfolio books that are bound with 25 clear
slipsheets (they also come in 10-sheet and 40-sheet sizes). This provides up
to 50 pages to look at.

I've divided it into several sections, using stick-on tabs, for education
(transcripts, teaching awards), technical writing and STC awards, marketing
material (glossies, brochures), technical writing samples,
layout/design/graphics samples, magazine and journal interviews (with me) and
articles (by me), and books (covers or title pages, ads for). (These are just
ideas for contents--I usually use a smaller version that I tailor for specific
jobs.)

I include two writing samples as leave-behinds (one chapter from a manual that
relates to their business, if possible, and one short piece (2 pages) that I
think they might otherwise enjoy. I always provide a list of 3-5 references,
with a brief paragraph on who they are (their bio), how long they've known me,
and what we worked on (or what I did for them or their company), and of course
how to contact them.

Hope this is useful. Cheers.
Rich Julius Oracle Corporation
Senior Technical Writer Box 659504
Decision Support Systems 500 Oracle Parkway
(415) 506-4971 Redwood Shores, CA 94065

President, Berkeley Chapter, Society for Technical Communication

"The advantage of a classical education is that it enables you to despise
the wealth which it prevents you from achieving." --Russell Green