Re: Job Searching

Subject: Re: Job Searching
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 12:56:49 -0400

Beth Vollbach searches for jobs like this:

> 1. Although it seems that Bonni is saying that we shouldn't apply for
> jobs when we don't have the specific experience the want ad says is
> preferred or required, I have often done so. And, as a matter of
> fact, every tech writing/editing job I ever got had requirement(s) for
> qualifications that I didn't have.

[...]

> I'm not saying that the way I did it was the only right way. But it
> was right for me at the right time. So, I am saying that it depends.
> There doesn't seem to be any one right way to do a job search. Beth

Yes, I'll go along with that.

Here's another approach somebody might find useful, especially if you
find yourself changing careers later in life, but earlier than you'd
anticipated. Pre-graduates may find this exercise enlightening also,
even though it involves a bit of leg work.

Rather than search for a job, search for a company. Research a series
of companies, find out their locations, their personnel policies, how
happy their employees seem to be, and so on. Pick one, maybe two, that
you really like.

Then find out the types of positions and jobs for which these companies
hire people, and what the qualifications are for each. Figure out if you
can do any of those jobs, acquire additional skills somehow if you need
them, then wait for an opening.

In the end, you find yourself working for a company you like, doing
something you want to do. There's a lot to be said for that.

And, if it doesn't work out for you, take contract jobs. Or marry into
money. Or both. 8-)

|Len Olszewski, Project Manager | "Vultures don't eat sponge cake." |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| - Trinidad proverb |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|