Re: he/she, etc.

Subject: Re: he/she, etc.
From: Chuck Martin <techwriter -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 17:29:38 PDT

Andreas asked about writing documentation that you KNOW will be
used by people of just one sex. Unfortunately, (a) I am at a loss
to come up with any such job (except maybe Catholic priest), and
(b) because such a task may have such a limited audience now is no
guarantee that it will remain so at any future time.

The second reason is probably the strongest for non-sexist
writing. But that is probably something that White Heterosexual
American Males often have trouble understanding and relating to,
as they don't suffer from marginalization.

Chuck Martin
Information Developer, IBM
techwriter -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com