I don't need what you think I need that I don't really need!

Subject: I don't need what you think I need that I don't really need!
From: RICHMAN -at- EVMSVMS -dot- BITNET
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 14:47:52 -0400

What do the customers need?

This type of rhetorical analysis MUST preceed any form of communication
if that communication is to be successful!

One way to access the kinds of information that you are after is to actually
"hot-foot-it" into the user group that you are marketing toward.

An example might be a simple survey or needs assessment of the population.
But, how is the survey conducted? Will the appropriate people respond, or
will you end up catering to a not-so-silent minority???????

My belief is that unless you get a chance to "see" (actually, I do mean see
as in *witness*) your audience at task - then how can you possibly be
knowledgeable enough to address their group-specific needs?

Generalization is ALWAYS effective for 65.49% of the population. But, what
happens if your user group consists of members of the 34.51%?

Just some points to ponder!

Lisa Richman
Research Programs Coordinator
Eastern Virginia Medical School