Re: Enter vs. Type and v...

Subject: Re: Enter vs. Type and v...
From: BurkBrick -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 13:00:14 EDT

>By the way, I've never seen the terms peritaxis and hypotaxis in
>a dictionary. Has anyone encountered these before? Are they
>used in some arcane field of knowledge? I've seen other words
>used for this concept, but can't recall what they were.

The _New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary_ lists hypotaxis as "The
subordination of one clause to another." Parataxis is its opposite, and the
definition is "The placing of clauses or phrases one after another, without
the use of connecting words to indicate the relation (of coordination or
subordination) between them."

Hm - wonder if your professor was using the terms correctly. I see the idea,
but there might be a better term.

Barb