The Last Word on Degrees :-)

Subject: The Last Word on Degrees :-)
From: "Vollbach, Elizabeth" <evollbach -at- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 09:53:03 PST

I haven't said this on the list before because I didn't want too many
people to take it wrong. But I've had it with all the posts from
nondegreed people who seem to belittle my degree. I resent it.

I think it was Karen Kay who spoke of "determination" in people who
have degrees, and I think that is the thing that can separate me from
some nondegreed people. (Notice, please, I say "some.") Often, when
a college educated person is chosen over someone who is not, this is
the reason, I think. A lot of nondegreed people resent this, but
sometimes an employer has no other way of knowing. And determination
is an important factor because it can mean the difference between a
good employee and an all right employee.

I'm SURE that this is so. For example, there's me. When I was in
college I was in a serious car accident. Just the fact that I
attempted college after that said a great deal about my determination
for success. And that has determined my success in my profession,
too.

Determination is no little thing. And when an employer knows next to
nothing about a potential employee, that degree can be a sign of
determination and a sign that that employee will be good for the
company. And, since I had to work so, so hard after my accident, I
sure do dislike the resentful tone of so many nondegreed people who
continually imply that I took the easy road and am getting something
for nothing, and that my degree shouldn't count. Because you probably
can't even imagine how hard I had to work to get that "expensive piece
of paper" and to get where I am now. And no one had better belittle
that! Beth

Beth