Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 3 Jun 1994 to 4 Jun 1994

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 3 Jun 1994 to 4 Jun 1994
From: nancy ott <ott -at- ANSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 09:35:10 EDT

Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM> writes:

> Jim Grey provides an anecdote about an interview experience, which prompts me
> to ask if anyone else would be interested in hearing informative, instructive
> and/or amusing life experiences about job interviews, getting contracts, etc.

Sure, why not? I'd like to hear about people's hiring/contracting
experiences (regardless of which side of the desk you're sitting on).
The portfolio thread has taught me to ask more probing questions about
portfolios during an interview, for instance, and has given me some
good ideas for updating my own.

To start things off, here are excerpts from two letters which were
sent to me regarding an open writing position we had a while back.
Names were omitted to protect the guilty.

Dear Mr. Nancy Ott:
I am applying for the position of an Technical Writer ...

... I feel that I am uniquely qualified for this position
because I am a dedicated Team Player and respect Authority.

(Note: The capitalization is the author's, not mine.)

Please, please, please don't make these mistakes when you are writing
a cover letter!

- nancy

PS: before you ask, I didn't hire either of them!

nancy ott |
Ansoft Corp. | Bigger! Better! Faster! More! Now!
Pittsburgh, PA |
ott -at- ansoft -dot- com |