Warnings, Cautions, Notes

Subject: Warnings, Cautions, Notes
From: Chris Frederick Willis <ChrisOp -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 1994 23:42:22 EDT

For what it's worth, our rule of thumb is as follows:

WARNING: Doing this may cause personal injury.

CAUTION: Doing this may cause harm to the product or loss of
data.

NOTE: This material is provided to make your life with
this product easier in some way.

If icons are used, we go with the triangle/! icon for warnings and
cautions. Our stanard note icon is a check mark in a box, as in,
"Check this out!" Warnings regarding possible electric shock have
a triangle/lightening bolt icon.

If there are industry standards for these, I would be interested in
documenting them for future reference.

Chris Willis
Media 1 Technical Publishing Services
Nunica Michigan USA