Ain't: The right time and the right plac

Subject: Ain't: The right time and the right plac
From: "Segal, Betty S." <bss3 -at- PHPMTS1 -dot- EM -dot- CDC -dot- GOV>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 1994 15:42:00 EST

On June 5, Andreas Ramos wrote:
>If you're down South, however, it is completely proper to use "ain't" in
>casual conversation; in fact, to use "isn't" is incorrect. That'll mark
>you as an outsider.

Where _is_ this "down South"? Although I have lived almost my entire life in
the South (N.C., Ala., S.C., and Ga.), I have never run into this requirement
among the natives I known. This is not to say "ain't" isn't used by some
people. I've never seen it as a regional characterisitc, but as related to
education (or regard for education).

Betty--currently living in Atlanta
bss3 -at- phpmts1 -dot- em -dot- cdc -dot- gov