Re: "Shall" & "Will"

Subject: Re: "Shall" & "Will"
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- CAYMAN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 10:57:16 EDT

>Regarding the replacement of "will" with "shall"...

From an old-time English teacher and grammarian:

In normal speech, you're supposed to use "shall" only with the first
person...BUT:
if you use "shall" with the second or third person, you're indicating a
requirement, a demand, or determination.

Similarly, if you use "will" with the first person, you're indicating a
requirement, a demand, or determination.
Normal usage is "will" with the second or third person.

Television is changing (dare I say "corrupting") American speech, so you'll
often hear this (and other expressions) misused. Eventually, I expect that
the distinction will blur, and "shall" will essentially disappear from our
language. Nonetheless, I shall continue to attempt to use both properly.
In fact, I *WILL* do so!

Marguerite

"All jobs are temporary, but some come with benefits." - John Garrison