Re: minimal does not equal minimalist and other comments

Subject: Re: minimal does not equal minimalist and other comments
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 15:56:45 -0500

Fred is correct about why I put minimalist in quotation marks.
I meant "using few words" not "adhering to Carroll's theory of
minimalist documentation." Sorry about any confusion.

Fred also makes a valid point that brief does not necessarily
equal clear. I chose a *very* simple example (Closes the active window.),
but for more complex ideas I am likely going to have to stick with
writing in sentences.

Thanks to the replies received so far today, I now feel that I
can use fragments that finish the thought in my online help doc.

BTW, I've been reading Horton's _Designing & Writing Online
Documentation_ this afternoon. He does not cover the use of
sentence fragments. He does, however, admonish us to "Say more with
fewer words in less space." On pages 200-201, but skipping his
examples and text, his subheads give good writing advice:

Write simple sentences
Write active sentences
Make positive statements
Keep syntax simple

Sounds like good advice to me! Thanks for all your input!

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com