Re: (Non)Degreed and insulted!!

Subject: Re: (Non)Degreed and insulted!!
From: Anne Halseytechwriter <ach -at- TOMICHI -dot- STORTEK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 1994 11:47:48 -0600

Regarding Arlen Walker's post:

The comment about judging applicants by writing samples reminds
me of something I was once told during an interview. I assumed
that, as an applicant, I should come to an interview prepared
with a portfolio. I'd been speaking with the hiring manager for
over an hour, and he'd still not asked to see my portfolio. So
I offered to show him anything of interest.

Well, he leaned back in his chair, crossed his arms, and grinned.
Then he asked, "Can you prove that you generated any of this stuff?"
and sat waiting for my reaction. A fish out of water, gasping for
air, had NOTHING on me at that point. But the comment was valid.
So ... when interviewing prospective writer-folk, don't just
peruse the samples. Ask detailed, probing questions about the
technology, the layout, the tools, the graphic decisions ... anything you
can think of to determine the individual's degree of involvement
in generating the work. I've used this technique with great
success in recent years. I've also been *quite* surprised at
the number of times applicants have been unable to discuss their
portfolios knowledgeably.

Just my $.02 worth ...

anne halsey
sr tech writer, storagetek