Re: Degreed and insulted!

Subject: Re: Degreed and insulted!
From: DaveTaylor -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Sun, 29 May 1994 09:24:50 EDT

Joan Smith said:

how many of you are actually degreed communicators,
tech writing or other writing, and have you found that it is
easier to find work writing as a "writer" or as "other" who
has written.

=======

So far as I know, a writing degree (or lack of it) has never been a
consideration in the jobs I have applied for. I've considered getting an
advanced degree in tech writing, but it doesn't appear worth the time and
money it would cost.

I have a degree in electronics, which I got because I enjoy having my hands
on hardware. I work as a writer because that's what I enjoy most and am best
at. I don't have a degree in writing--didn't even take English courses in
college (I tested out of them).

I've always found that the ability to understand technical topics, present
them clearly and logically, and work closely with technical staff are the
most important parts of writing. From the curricula and newly-graduated tech
writing students I've seen, a writing degree doesn't teach you most
(sometimes, any) of that.

Neither do you need a degree to use punctuation and grammer properly--you
should have learned that in elementary and high school. (And from extensive
reading--a habit any writer ought to have.)

A degree can help as an introduction to the new technologies becoming
prevalent and to provide some understanding of how people learn and
understand what they read. However, isolated courses and careful self-study
can also teach those things.

Writing experience, an innate ability to organize, and technical knowledge
(or a technical degree) are most valuable to a tech writing career. A tech
writing degree is optional.

,
` , David M. Taylor ... The word juggler
\o_
# Freelance writer
/ \ Columbia MD USA davetaylor -at- aol -dot- com