FW: Computer Whizzes

Subject: FW: Computer Whizzes
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 13:23:00 -0700

Someone forwarded this to me today and I thought it would be
appropriate to share it in Tech-whirl:

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
From the Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, March 1, 1994.

BEFUDDLED PC USERS FLOOD HELP LINES, AND NO QUESTION SEEMS TO BE TOO
BASIC

AUSTIN, Texas - The exasperated help-line caller said she couldn't get
her new Dell computer to turn on. Jay Ablinger, a Dell Computer Corp.
technician, made sure the computer was plugged in and then asked the
woman what happened when she pushed the power button. "I've pushed and
pushed on this foot pedal and nothing happens," the woman replied.
"Foot pedal?" the technician asked. "Yes," the woman said, "this little
white foot pedal with the on switch." The "foot pedal," it turned out,
was the computer's mouse, a hand-operated device that helps to control
the computer's operations.

One woman called Dell's toll-free line to ask how to install batteries
in her laptop. When told that the directions were on the first page of
the manual, says Steve Smith, Dell director of technical support, the
woman replied angrily, "I just paid $2,000 for this ! -at- #$ thing, and I'm
not going to read a book."

Compaq's help center in Houston, Texas, is inundated by some 8,000
consumer calls a day, with inquiries like this one related by technician
John Wolf: "A frustrated customer called, who said her brand new Contura
would not work. She said she had unpacked the unit, plugged it in,
opened it up and sat there for 20 minutes waiting for something to
happen. When asked what happened when she pressed the power switch, she
asked, 'What power switch?'"

Seemingly simple computer features baffle some users. So many people
have called to ask where the "any" key is when "Press Any Key" flashes
on the screen that Compaq is considering changing the command to "Press
Return Key."

Some people can't figure out the mouse. Tamra Eagle, an AST technical
support supervisor, says one customer complained that her mouse was hard
to control with the "dust cover" on. The cover turned out to be the
plastic bag the mouse was packaged in. Dell technician Wayne Zieschang
says one of his customers held the mouse and pointed it at the screen,
all the while clicking madly.

Disk drives are another bugaboo. One customer was having trouble reading
word-processing files from his old diskettes. After troubleshooting for
magnets and heat failed to diagnose the problem, Mr. Sullivan asked what
else was being done with the diskette. The customer's response: "I put a
label on the diskette, roll it into the typewriter..."

At AST, another customer dutifully complied with a technician's request
that she send in a copy of a defective floppy disk. A letter from the
customer arrived a few days later, along with a Xerox copy of the
floppy.

At Dell, a technician advised his customer to put his troubled floppy
back in the drive and "close the door." Asking the technician to "hold
on," the customer put the phone down and was heard walking over to shut
the door to his room. The technician meant the door to his floppy drive.

The software inside the computer can be equally befuddling. A Dell
customer called to say he couldn't get his computer to fax anything.
After 40 minutes of troubleshooting, the technician discovered the man
was trying to fax a piece of paper by holding it in front of the monitor
screen and hitting the "send" key.

Another customer called to complain that his keyboard no longer worked.
He had cleaned it, he said, filling up his tub with soap and water and
soaking his keyboard for a day, and then removing all the keys and
washing them individually.