Re: Your opinions again, please.

Subject: Re: Your opinions again, please.
From: Glen Accardo <glen -at- SOFTINT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 11:11:38 CDT

> 1. The system (or name of application) displays the XYZ screen.
> 2. The XYZ screen is displayed.
> 3. The XYZ screen displays.

I generally use #1, but it gets very old, very fast. In our case, SQLASSIST
displays LOTS of things, does lots of other things, and generally ends up
being the subject of essentially every sentence. If it is just a matter of
a screen getting displayed, I put that fact in the category of "It's a GUI
product; all morons know that screens get displayed." I then concentrate on
explaining what someone should be doing with the screen or what the screen
is doing (presumably for the good of all mankind).

A second way around the problem with #1 is being more specific about what
is displaying/doing/calculating/etc. Instead of saying "SQLASSIST blah blah
blah," I may put in "The FrobSnobnitz module blah blah blah." You get the
active voice, better precision, and a bit of variety in subjects.

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?