Re: Citing Electronic Sources

Subject: Re: Citing Electronic Sources
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 22:10:05 EDT

L. Clark Sandlin (INTERNET:INTERNET:ULCSANDLIN -at- MEMSTVX1 -dot- BITNET) asks:

> I read a message that was posted here sometime ago about citing e-mail,
> BBS, and other internet sources. The message was asking for the
> standards of citing such sources, but I never saw a reply.

> I normally just use a standard "letter" citation. I am not sure whether
> this is acceptable or not. Since I use the internet for research, I
> would appreciate it if someone would clarify this for me.

I don't read everything in my mailbox, so I don't recall the original
message or any replies. However, I'd recommend _Electronic Style: A
Guide to Citing Electronic Information_ by Xia Li and Nancy B. Crane,
Meckler 1993, ISBN 0-88736-909-X. It covers citing an entire work or
a part of a work from FTP, Telnet, and e-mail sources as well as from
other electronic sources such as databases and BBSs. (BTW, it has a
pretty good index, too.)

Lori Lathrop ----------> INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
Lathrop Media Services
P.O. Box 808