Re: beginner seeks info

Subject: Re: beginner seeks info
From: Ron Starr <rons -at- MICROSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 17:57:25 PDT

Apologies - the attached should have had the following appended to it:

=+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+=
Ron Starr (rons -at- microsoft -dot- com)

I don't speak for Microsoft; they don't speak for me.
==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+=

----------
From: Ron Starr <rons>
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Thursday, May 26, 1994 5:22PM

As a hiring manager (yes, a member of the parasitic classes) the *last*
thing I look for is a tech writing degree.

The first thing I look for is whether or not the person can write. I
want to see samples, a range of samples usually, so that I get an idea
of the person's range. I want to know the person's work history and
experience, too.

The "e" word - "experience" - is, of course, the problem. To get
experience, as many on the list have suggested in the past, get hooked
up with the local STC chapter. Go to the meetings. Find out about their
job list. Do temporary or contract writing or editing. There are often
agencies specializing in the placement of technical temporaries who can
get you doing some work.

If you want to do technical writing, dive in.