Re: Gender Reference

Subject: Re: Gender Reference
From: Tim Pera <uusr656!tim -at- RAMBONE -dot- PSI -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 14:19:10 CDT

Speaking only about the challanges I face in documenting
the software my company produces, there is nothing about
the functionality of our software that relies on the user's
gender. Also, we do not feel that references to gender
enhance the quality of our manuals. I've seen it expressed
(in one way or another) many times on this list that one of
our goals as technical writers should be to create
documentation that meets stiff requirements for accuracy
and crispness. In our case, this rules out any reference to
gender in our manuals.

Tim Pera